- Date Posted: January 20, 2016
- Closing Date:
- Location: Stewart
- Hours of Work: Casual
Detention guards-RCMP monitor and safeguard persons in custody. Applicant must live within a 30 minute drive of the Detachment and be flexible as this position is casual, call in as required.
Physical handling of prisoners is not a job requirement for Detention Guards. Any movement of Prisoners will be conducted by the RCMP. Guard duties are to monitor prisoners and to document prisoner movement/activities, as per RCMP policy guidelines.
4% vacation pay, uniform shirt. AD&D Insurance in effect portal to portal.
- Monitor all prisoners to ensure their security and well being;
- Observe and check prisoners frequently and irregularly;
- Assist RCMP member when required to search prisoners (training provided);
- Organize meals, record prisoner activity and maintain a prisoner activity logbook;
- Maintain cleanliness and tidiness of cells when vacated or arrange janitor assistance;
- Record and report any damages or repairs to cells;
- Conduct searches of cells prior to occupation and when cells are vacated;
- Maintain cellblock security (ensure cell doors are locked at all times);
- Ensure cellblock keys are tagged and stored safely;
- Ensure all personal effects removed from prisoners are properly secured;
- Monitor fire safety and be fully conversant with fire orders;
- Handle and dispense laundry items;
- Under the supervision of the RCMP Officer, dispense approved prescription medications to persons in custody
- Perform other duties particular to that station or detachment as outlined in the Unit.
Required Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
At a minimum, Guards must meet the following educational and training qualifications prior to commencement of Guard duties.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write and speak in English or French as appropriate;
- Bilingual Guards may be required for some communities;
- Basic level computer skills an asset;
- Vision: Visual standards are RCMP-V4 (eye glasses permitted);
- Able to use both hands;
- Occasionally required to manipulate/lift up to 20 kg;
- Able to bend at the waist and climb stairs without restrictions or the use of assistive devices; and
- Valid level one First Aid Certificate c/w Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation.