- Date Posted: April 11, 2017
- Closing Date: June 30, 2017
- Location: Langley
- Hours of Work: Full-Time
- Salary/Wage: Not Disclosing
Commissionaires BC provides full-time security services to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO), which is the federal lead for managing and safeguarding Canada’s fisheries, oceans and freshwater resources.
We are currently hiring a Radio Operator/Security Officer that will work in a challenging, yet rewarding environment at the DFO Radio Room in Langley. As a successful candidate, you will have long-term availability to work on a rotating four on – four off, 12 hour shift schedule (11:00 – 23:00 and 23:00 – 11:00). Please note that a BC Security Workers’ License is NOT required for this job!
Up to four weeks of full-time, paid training is included in this package. Your training will include learning radio dispatch and in-house software programs used by the DFO. As well, you will learn how to respond to incoming calls from both DFO officials and the public and complete/file reports to document your interactions.
You’re a good fit if…
- You pride yourself on your multi-tasking skills
- You enjoy taking on new challenges and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- You’re a night owl and are willing to work rotating graveyard shifts
- You enjoy a condensed work week with extended days off
Some of your daily tasks include:
- Operate and respond to radio channels covering the province
- Providing information and support to fisheries and conservation officers, including CPIC (criminal record database) information, commercial fishing information, fisheries priors and conservation priors
- Data entry on spreadsheets for Canadian/American commercial fishing vessels
- Communicate emergency situations to appropriate response teams
- Perform other administrative related duties as required by the client or management team
Required Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- You have a valid Government of Canada Secret Clearance (or equivalent) or be willing to obtain one
- Note: the waiting period for a Secret Clearance is approximately six (6) months and this is processed at no cost to you
- You have a minimum of five (5) years residency in Canada (required for clearances)
- Possess adequate data entry/typing skills
- You have good command of the English language (oral and written)
- You have experience or familiarity using technical radio language/radio codes
- You have excellent hearing, and can respond promptly and efficiently to radio calls
- You have intermediate computer/technical proficiency
- You have the ability to learn multiple in-house software programs and procedures
- You have the ability to multi-task and problem solve
- You are able work well under pressure
- You are able to work twelve-hour shifts
- You have reliable transportation to and from the site
- Experience dealing with the public over the telephone
- Experience in an administrative or office setting
- General geographic knowledge of British Columbia
In accordance with our mandate, preference will be given to those who have previously served in the Canadian Armed Forces or RCMP.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.